Turkey curry recipe
Leftover turkey gets spiced up with some Indian flair in this hot and creamy addicting turkey curry!
Leftovers are much more interesting when they're repurposed into something totally different than the original meal! This turkey curry served over hot basmati rice will warm their hearts and souls.
Turkey curry recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch knob ginger, peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, chopped (removing pulp and seeds optional)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (Madras curry)
- 1 large tomato, chopped (or 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes with their juice)
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 (16 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups shredded turkey
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Prepared basmati rice
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, begin to heat the butter and oil. Add onion, garlic and ginger and saute about 4 minutes. Add green pepper, jalapeño pepper, potato cubes, curry powder and a nice pinch of salt and stir together well to coat vegetables with the curry.
- Add tomato and stock and bring to a light boil. Turn down heat and cover pot and cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until potato cubes are tender, but not mushy.
- After the 10 minutes is up, remove the lid and, using a large spoon or ladle, extract about 3/4 cup of the hot liquid from the pot. Place the liquid in a measuring cup or bowl. Add the cornstarch to the liquid and whisk or stir together well until the liquid has thickened and there are no lumps. Pour that liquid back into the pot along with the coconut milk and sugar and stir well.
- Bring pot to a light boil again, then turn down the heat to a simmer, stir in the turkey and allow it to simmer about 5 more minutes. Taste and add cayenne pepper if you desire more heat. Salt to taste.
- Spoon turkey curry over basmati rice. Top with golden raisins and fresh coriander and serve.