This freshly baked bread is full of sweet and savory and is perfect for serving alongside a big bowl of soup or as an elegant appetizer.
Making homemade bread is not only fun, but it allows you to get creative with your ingredients. In our version of foccacia, we mixed in caramelized onions, Gorgonzola cheese and topped it with fresh sliced pears.
Caramelized onion foccacia with pears and Gorgonzola recipe
Yields 1 loaf
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus 1/4 teaspoon for garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 large pear, cored and sliced (any variety of pear works)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Fresh ground pepper for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl add the water, yeast, honey (or maple syrup) and allow to stand for 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy. Gradually stir in the flour and the olive oil, mixing very well.
- Add in the caramelized onions and mix very well with your hands and dump the mixture onto a well floured surface. Knead the dough until it has an elastic consistency and place in a bowl sprayed with nonstick spray. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the dough on the baking sheet and using your hands press the dough out to fit the pan or form it into a large rectangular shape. Using your finger tips dimple the top of the dough with your finger tips.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with the tablespoon of olive oil, remaining sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Place sliced pears on top of the dough and sprinkle with the Gorgonzola. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the bread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an air tight container for several days.