Shredded turkey taquitos
These taquitos are made with leftovers, but you'd never know it by how wonderful they taste.
Just when you think you can't take another bite of turkey, you'll change your mind with these tasty taquitos. That leftover turkey sitting in the fridge will transform into crispy goodness that you won't be able to resist. These turkey taquitos taste wonderful served with guacamole or salsa. And they make a delicious appetizer or meal. Just don't tell your guests they're made with leftovers. It's the chef's secret!
Shredded turkey taquitos recipe
- 3 cups cooked shredded turkey
- 3 dashes chili powder
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 2 dashes ground cumin
- 2 dashes garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup canola oil (or more depending on the size of your skillet)
- In a medium bowl, add the turkey, chili powder, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Mix together so that the turkey is evenly coated with the spices. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium heat and add the canola oil.
- Using tongs, dip a tortilla in the oil for just a moment then quickly remove it to a large plate.
- Starting at about 1-1/2 inchs from the edge of the tortilla that is closest to you, lay some of the turkey (about 1/4 cup per taquito) in a horizontal line about 1/2 inch from each side of the tortilla.
- When the tortilla is cool enough to touch, carefully roll it as tightly as possible. Set aside and repeat the process with the rest of the ingredients.
- In between wrapping the tortillas, add a couple taquitos to the skillet leaving enough room to dip the remaining tortillas in the oil. If the oil is getting too hot, turn the heat down slightly.
- When the bottom side of the taquitos turn a golden color, turn them over.
- Continue to cook the taquitos until all sides are a golden color.
- Remove the taquitos from the skillet and lay them on to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Serve while warm with guacamole or salsa.