Meatless Monday: Mexican-style pizza
Have some fun with your pizza on a Meatless Monday! Try topping your pie with tasty ingredients usually reserved for Mexican-inspired salads or even burritos.
The colors in this Meatless Monday recipe for Mexican-style pizza are amazing, but you'll probably like the flavors even more. You might not be used to putting these toppings on a pizza — zucchini, black beans, red peppers, romaine lettuce — but give it a go! The fresh vegetables and black beans tossed with lime juice and chili powder are packed with flavor, and the lettuce adds just the right amount of crunch!
Mexican-style pizza recipe
- 1 (13.8 ounce) container prepared pizza dough
- 6 ounces black beans
- 1/3 cup small diced zucchini
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 cup small diced red pepper, seeds and membrane removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus 1/4 cup
- 2-3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven according to the package directions. Lightly spray a baking sheet with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Shape the dough out within the baking sheet, just barely to the edges, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the black beans, zucchini, corn, red pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder and lime juice. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Evenly spread the 1/2 cup of cheese over the pizza dough. Next evenly spread a layer of romaine lettuce.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture over the lettuce to the edges of the pizza.
- Bake according to the pizza dough directions. Before the final minute or so of cooking, add the remaining shredded cheese over the pizza and continue to bake until done.
- Serve warm.
Enjoy this colorful, flavorful vegetarian pizza!