Are you going gluten-free this holiday season? Quinoa stuffing is full of wonderful flavors and textures and is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner. This delicious recipe is packed with sweet potatoes, herbs, nuts and dried fruit — it’s truly an ideal alternative to traditional bread stuffing.
Gluten-free quinoa stuffing recipe
Serves 8 – 10
- 2 cups prepared quinoa (preferably cooked in gluten-free chicken stock)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into cubes
- 1-1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup raisins or craisins
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Toss sweet potato cubes with olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt and place in a roasting pan. Roast sweet potato cubes in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and browning. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Coat a large frying pan with olive oil and begin heating over medium heat. Add onion, celery and bay leaf to the pan and sauté until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary, thyme and sage (along with a pinch of salt) to the pan with the onions and celery and continue cooking, stirring often, another 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa to a large bowl. Add roasted sweet potato cubes to the quinoa. Add the onion, celery and garlic-herb mixture to the quinoa (discard the bay leaf) and stir together well.
- In the same pan you cooked the onion, celery and garlic mixture, over medium-high heat, add the diced apple and cook about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often. Add cooked diced apple to the quinoa.
- Add craisins/raisins, nuts, apple cider vinegar, parsley and cumin to the quinoa and stir well. Salt and pepper to taste.
Originally published November 2015. Updated November 2016.