Craving both pecan and apple pie? Forget eating a slice of each and grab one of these super-decadent, fluffy and sweet cupcakes instead!
That’s right, these blend your two favorite fall pies into one insanely delicious dessert. Each fluffy and spicy cupcake is filled with caramel apple pie filling and topped with pecans and soft whipped cream. You may never ask for regular pie again.
Caramel apple pie-filled pecan cupcake recipe
Yields about 12 cupcakes
For the filling
- About 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- About 4 cups finely chopped apples
- 4 tablespoons caramel
For the cupcakes
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- Whipped cream for the topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- To make the filling, mix sugar, flour and apple pie spice together. Stir in the apples until well mixed. (Start with 4 cups and add more if needed.)
- Meanwhile, mix the cake together by whisking the flour, baking soda, apple pie spice, baking powder and salt together. In another bowl, beat the butter, applesauce, eggs, sugars and vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with milk. Stir to combine until fully mixed.
- Fill the liners about 1/3 full with cake batter. Top with about 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of apple pie filling. Add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of caramel over the filling (be careful to keep the filling and caramel in the center or it will stick to the liners). Add more cake batter on top of the filling so the liners are about 2/3 full. Repeat until all of the liners have been filled.
- Bake for about 18-23 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, top the centers of the cupcakes with whipped cream. Then top with about 1 tablespoon of chopped pecans.