3 Unique red wine desserts
Red wine isn't just for drinking, friends. In fact, you can enjoy your favorite pinots and cabernets in dessert form, too, with these luscious and delectable recipes!
These delicious recipes are made with the best seasonal ingredients, like chocolate and pears, and are not just delicious, but gorgeous too! Forget pies or cookies this holiday season and make these perfect red wine desserts instead!
Red wine soaked pears with raspberry sauce
Serves about 4
- 4 ripe pears, peeled
- About 4 cups dry red wine (we used pinot noir)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- About 8 scoops of ice cream (we used chocolate Arctic Zero)
- About 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine sauce (reserved from pears)
- Combine the sugars, red wine and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a rapid boil and then reduce to low. Add the pears and drizzle with red wine sauce.
- Cover mixture with a cover. Poach pears for about 10 more minutes, or until soft. Using a slotted spoon, move the pears to a bowl. Pour the sauce over the pears and let mixture come to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Turn the pears every few minutes to ensure the color is a deep red.
- Meanwhile, make the raspberry sauce by heating the raspberries, sugar and 1/4 cup of the red wine reduction from the pears. Cook over medium heat until mixture is bubbly and thick. Using a potato masher, mash the raspberries to make a thick sauce.
- Serve the pears over 2-3 scoops of ice cream. Drizzle with raspberry sauce and serve.
Slow cooker super fudgy red wine cake
Serves about 8
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Grease a slow cooker heavily with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixer, beat the chocolate cake mix, milk, red wine, oil and eggs until fully combined. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until cake is set and chocolate chips are melted.
Red wine chocolate doughnuts
Serves about 12
For the doughnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the chocolate icing
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Gold decorative sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Liberally grease a doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder until combined. Add in egg, skim milk, red wine, canola oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir until ingredients are fully combined. Add in chocolate chips.
- Fill doughnut cavities about 1/2–2/3 full with batter. Bake for 7–9 minutes, or until they bounce back after you touch them. Let cool completely and remove from the pan.
- To prepare the glaze, place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Set power to 50 and melt for 1 minute. Stir slightly and melt another 30 seconds. Repeat (stirring every 30 seconds) until chips are completely melted. Using a knife, frost each doughnut. Sprinkle with sprinkles and enjoy!