Gluten-free Friday: Lentil, potato and rosemary soup
Warming and hearty, this Gluten-free Friday soup is perfect on a chilly day. Lentils add protein to the dish, and the fresh rosemary adds fragrant flavor.
This Gluten-free Friday recipe for lentil, potato and rosemary soup will help you put together a filling, warming meal on a chilly day. This soup is hearty thanks in part to the potatoes but also to the lentils, which add protein. The fresh rosemary adds an aromatic touch to the soup.
Lentil, potato and rosemary soup recipe
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups gluten-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 pound new potatoes, large diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (more as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sour cream as garnish
- Rinse the dried lentils and pick out any debris. Set them aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook, stirring. After about 2 minutes, add the carrot and celery. Cook for a few more minutes and add the garlic. Cook, stirring, for another minute or so.
- Add the vegetable broth, rosemary, potatoes, lentils, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and partially cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes and lentils are tender.
- You may need to add water to the mixture during your cooking time. Stir in about 1/2 cup water at a time until the ingredients are covered. You may also need to add more seasoning to the mixture depending on how much water you add.
- Serve hot in individual bowls with a dollop of sour cream.
Sit down to a satisfying soup!