Delight family and overnight guests as they awake to the aromas of this country-style bacon, apple and cheese egg bake cooking in the oven!
Bacon, apples, onion, fresh herbs and cheese! What’s not to love about this cooler weather-inspired country style egg bake?! Perfect for overnight guests, serve with warm cinnamon raisin toast and soft butter to make it extra-extra special!
Country style bacon, apple and cheese egg bake recipe
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream
- 8 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 12 ounces bacon
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced into thin slices
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for greasing casserole dish
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, fry bacon until cooked, but not overly crispy. Blot bacon dry and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Carefully remove most of the grease from the pan you cooked the bacon in, add the tablespoon of butter to the same pan along with the onions and the apple.
- Over medium heat, saute down the onion and apple, scraping up the browned bacon bits from the pan, until the onion and apple are soft, translucent and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Add rosemary and thyme and stir all together. Set pan aside and allow the onion, apple mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and cream and whisk together well. Add the cheeses, bacon, apple/onion mixture and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir all ingredients together until well combined.
- Grease a casserole dish generously with butter or cooking spray. Pour contents of the bowl into the casserole dish. Place in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the center is set. Remove casserole from the oven and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.