Rushing around this season? Try serving an appetizer that you can make a day or two in advance of when you're ready to serve it. The flavors in this dish develop further as it sits, making it perfect for the busy holiday season!
This recipe for caponata bruschetta is easy to make and it works well for serving at holiday parties and family gatherings (it's vegan-friendly, too). The base of this dish is eggplant, which gets mixed with other vegetables and seasonings to make a lightly sweet and tangy cooked and hearty vegetable "salad."
Caponata is best served at room temperature and can be made a day or so in advance of when you need it (perfect for the busy season). Try this version as a topping for bruschetta. The crunchy bread is perfect for soaking up the flavorful juices.
Caponata bruschetta recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced large
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup green olives, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 loaf rustic, Italian-style bread, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to a large, hot skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant and onion, and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes, or until the eggplant has softened. After cooking for about 5 minutes, add the garlic and the remaining olive oil.
- Add the diced tomato and their juice to a bowl and stir in the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Add the mixture to the skillet along with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Mix and cook, stirring, for 5-8 minutes, or until the tomatoes and juice have cooked down a bit.
- Add the green olives, red wine vinegar and remaining sugar. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for another 15 minutes or so.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Before serving, sprinkle the pine nuts over the top of the caponata.
- Serve with lightly toasted slices of rustic, Italian-style bread.
Serve a satisfying appetizer this season!