Marshmallow-filled sweet potato cupcakes
Is sweet potato casserole your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Enjoy it for dessert too by making these soft, fluffy and decadent marshmallow-stuffed sweet potato cupcakes!
Not only are these sweet, soft and spicy cupcakes perfect for any and all Thanksgiving feasts, they're perfect for enjoying all fall long. To add a much desired crunch, we topped each cuppie with a hefty serving of walnuts.
Marshmallow-filled sweet potato cupcakes recipe
Yields about 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1-1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup milk
For the filling and frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat the butter, applesauce, vanilla, sweet potato, egg and sugar together in a large bowl. Whisk until soft and fluffy. Add the flours, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice, mix to combine. Add the milk and beat until fully combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and fill each liner 3/4 full with batter. Bake for about 14-15 minutes or until golden.
- Make the filling and frosting by beating the fluff, sugar, milk, vanilla and butter together until soft and fluffy.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, cut out a small cone from the tops. Fill each cupcake with about 1 tablespoon of filling. Top with the cone you cut out and frost. Add 1 tablespoon of walnuts to the middle of each cupcake. Serve warm.