Sometimes we can have delicious food in a flash but sometimes, we also have to cook for hours. This superb chicken dish cooked in red wine and mushrooms is worth the long wait!
Our daily cooking always includes fast-paced recipes. Quick, simple and delicious. But when we have enough time to spare, why not prepare a delicious dish for the family that takes a little more time? This chicken cooked in red wine and mushrooms is definitely worth your effort and time!
Red wine chicken and mushrooms recipe
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta (or bacon), diced
- 8 chicken parts, your choice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 big onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water, used for soaking the mushrooms
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- In a medium bowl, soak the mushrooms in water. Leave it for an hour. When the time has passed, drain the mushrooms but save the water. Squeeze the mushrooms lightly to get rid of excess water. Set them aside.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with olive oil, toast the pancetta. When it’s toasted, transfer to a container.
- In the same saucepan, brown the chicken pieces. When they are brown, transfer them to a container.
- Still using the same saucepan, saute the garlic and onions for about 1 minute.
- Maintaining medium heat, put back the chicken and the pancetta. Cook together for 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine, broth, the water used in soaking the mushrooms, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Let it boil then simmer on low heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the sauce is reduced by half.