Butternut squash mac 'n' cheese with bacon and caramelized onions
This mac 'n' cheese is packed with butternut squash, bacon and caramelized onions. The best part is that the squash blends right in with the cheese so the little kids won't even know.
Macaroni and cheese is every kid's favorite dish. We took all that delicious flavor and made it even healthier. We stirred in pureed butternut squash and added just a touch of nutmeg. This pasta dish is warm, comforting and perfect for a cold winter day.
Butternut squash mac 'n' cheese with bacon and caramelized onions recipe
Adapted from Ellie Krieger
Yields 9 x 13-inch pan
- 16 ounces small shell pasta
- 2 (10 ounce) packages pureed and cooked butternut squash, thawed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled crispy cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch dish with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add in pasta and cook till al dente, following box directions.
- In a large skillet, add thawed squash and milk and cook till heated through.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Once the cheese is melted and combined, stir in pasta, bacon and onions.
- Add to the prepared pan and sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated throughout.