Mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and bacon
No boring mashed potatoes here! These babies are packed with flavor by using bacon and caramelized onions. Talk about flavor!
Mashed potatoes are a classic Thanksgiving side dish. Now we would never be one to turn down a classic bowl of buttered potatoes, but we decided to jazz it up just a bit. We topped our mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and lots of crispy bacon. How can you go wrong with onions and bacon?
Mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and bacon recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds baby red skin potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large pot add potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until they are fork tender but not falling apart.
- Drain potatoes once they are fully cooked.
- In the same pot, add the drained potatoes and start mashing with a hand masher. Add in salt, milk and butter and mash. Once you reach your desired consistency start stirring to make the potatoes smooth.
- Stir in onions and bacon.
- Serve warm.
Don't know how to make caramelized onions? Peel and cut 2 large onions in half. Thinly slice and cook in 2-3 tablespoons butter (about 40 minutes) on low until soft and lightly browned and golden in color. Season with salt and pepper.