Don’t think you have time for tender, mouthwatering pork stew after a busy day? Use a pressure cooker to get dinner on the table in no time.
Slow cookers are great, but they require advance planning. Get the same amazingly tender meat in a fraction of the time by using a pressure cooker. We used Calphalon’s 6-quart pressure cooker to whip up this spicy pork and hominy stew in about 45 minutes, making it the perfect option for a hectic weeknight.
Pressure cooker pork and hominy stew recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds pork shoulder, cubed into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3-1/4 cups (2 cans) low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapeños
- Season pork liberally with salt. In the pot of a pressure cooker, heat olive oil over high heat. Brown pork quickly on all sides.
- Add onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo sauce, cumin, oregano and 2 cups chicken broth. Attach pressure cooker lid and turn the dial to high pressure. Once the pressure indicator pops up, lower heat to medium-low and cook for 13 minutes.
- When done, remove pressure cooker from heat and let pressure reduce until the pressure indicator goes back down, then remove the lid.
- Add the remaining 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, hominy and diced tomatoes with juice. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until hominy is tender.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapenos.
While all of the content on SheKnows reflects the honest opinion of our writers, Calphalon brand provided us with product for review.