Can’t decide between cornbread or biscuits? Combine them into one!
These cheesy biscuits are the best of both worlds. Part cornbread, part biscuit and oozing with melted cheddar. They’re sure to be a hit!
Cheesy cornbread biscuits recipe
Yields 8 biscuits
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (see tip in directions)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add the diced butter and work it through the dough, using your fingers, until the dough is the texture of small crumbs.
- Whisk together the buttermilk (Tip: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own with regular milk and a squeeze of lemon juice) and honey in a small bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and mix a few times with a spatula until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the cheddar and green onion.
- Drop the dough in 1/4 cup dollops onto a parchment lined or nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the biscuits are just starting to brown on the outside.