Wild rice and sausage-stuffed mini-pumpkins
Hearty, seasonal and definitely festive, this dish is what you want to serve for fall fun! Mini-pumpkins serve as the bowls in this recipe.
If you're looking for a dish with fall appeal, this is it. Not only does this recipe for wild rice and sausage-stuffed mini-pumpkins taste great, it makes for a festive fall presentation. Serve this as part of a seasonal meal for a fun, autumnal treat.
Wild rice and sausage-stuffed mini-pumpkins recipe
- 4 mini-pumpkins
- 8 ounces sausage, cooked
- 8 ounces cooked wild rice mixture
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Carefully slice the tops off the pumpkins, about 1/4 of the way down.
- Clean out the pumpkin seeds (reserve them to bake as a snack for another time) and the stringy pulp from the inside of the pumpkins and from underneath the pumpkin tops. Sprinkle the insides with a pinch of salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Cook the sausage over medium heat until browned, using a spoon to break it into crumbles as it cooks. Drain off any excess oil and set aside the sausage.
- Cook the wild rice. Set aside.
- While the rice cooks, heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, add the rice, sausage, onion mixture, toasted pecans, cranberries, orange zest, orange juice, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Fill each of the hollowed out pumpkins with the rice mixture, mounding it, but not packing it.
- Place the filled pumpkins in a shallow baking dish and add water, about 1-inch high.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes. Carefully remove the pumpkins from the baking dish and serve hot on individual plates.
Pick this pumpkin dish for fall!