Sunday dinner: Chicken tortilla pie
You'll love this flavorful, Mexican-inspired dish for Sunday dinner, and it's as easy as pie to put together. It's no-fuss and all great flavor!
This Sunday dinner recipe for chicken tortilla pie makes a tasty dish, but that's not all. It's a great way to use any leftover chicken you might have. You could also use a rotisserie chicken to make things easy. The flavors are Mexican-inspired favorites, and who doesn't want to eat pie for dinner?
Chicken tortilla pie recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup corn kernels
- 2 ounces diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound precooked chicken, diced
- 1/3 cup salsa, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup sour cream, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 diced avocado (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray the bottom and inside of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute more.
- Add the black beans, corn and chilies to the skillet. Stir in the cumin, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Add the chicken to the mixture, along with the salsa and sour cream. Stir the mixture well and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- If your tortillas are larger than the springform pan, use a knife to trim them to the same size as the bottom of the pan.
- Add one tortilla to the bottom of the pan, then add 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheddar cheese. Repeat this step 2 more times.
- Top with the remaining tortilla and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the mixture is heated through and the tortillas begin to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let the pan sit for a few minutes. Release the pan and transfer the pie to a cutting board, removing the bottom of the pan.
- Slice the pie into wedges and serve garnished with salsa, sour cream and diced avocado.
Serve up this pie for dinner!