Rice Krispies Pumpkins Are the Perfect Little Halloween Treat
Let's be real. We've never eaten a Rice Krispies treat we didn't like, but the sweet staple isn't exactly exciting visually — especially when you consider how many cute Halloween cookie and cupcake recipes there are out there circulating the internet. But when your Rice Krispies treats take the form of cute little jack-o'-lanterns, well, other seasonal desserts don't really hold a candle.
These cute little pumpkins are almost too cute to eat. Here, we share step-by-step directions for how to make them. Molding the Rice Krispies treats helps give them a pumpkin look, but if you don't have a mold, simply roll the treats into balls and use a wooden spoon to help create the ridges that pumpkins have. It's really simple.
Pumpkin-shaped Rice Krispies treats recipe
Adapted from food family & finds
Yields 10-12 pumpkins, depending on size
- 1 mini Bundt cake or fluted pan (these can also be found at craft or baking stores)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Orange food coloring
- Black frosting pen
- Green frosting pen
- Pretzel sticks
1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and several drops of orange food coloring to achieve the shade desired. Mix very well until the marshmallows are completely melted.
2. Add in the Rice Krispies and mix very well.
3. Spray the ice cream cup pan generously with nonstick cooking spray. Using a large spoon fill each cup with the Rice Krispies mixture and press into the pan firmly. Allow the treats to cool completely about 30-45 minutes.
4. Remove the treats from the pan and gently press two treats together to form one pumpkin. You may have to use the handle of a wooden spoon to help create the ridges pumpkins have.
Next Up: Insert a pretzel stick
Originally published October 2013. Updated October 2017.