Sweet potato mash with caramelized onions
Forget the marshmallows, top this year's mashed potatoes with caramelized onions for a delicious savory side.
Mashed potatoes are a classic Thanksgiving side dish. Instead of the sweet marshmallow route this year, try some savory caramelized onions sprinkled on top for a deliciously rich flavor.
Sweet potato mash with caramelized onions recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into big chunks
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large stockpot with water.
- Add the potatoes to the water and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes boil, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and let them caramelize, stirring very infrequently. This will take about 40 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain them from the water and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and top with the caramelized onions.