These bite-size sweet potato pumpkins pack just the right punch of chipotle flavor.
Savor the season with this spicy, pumpkin-shaped, sweet potato appetizer. They’re perfect for any fall gathering but would be especially festive for Thanksgiving. If you’d like, make them meatier by adding a little tuna or crab. Either way, they’ll add a pop of color and flavor to your autumn menu.
Spicy sweet potato pumpkin bites recipe
Makes about 30
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-5 ounces tuna or crabmeat (optional)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 3 cups Cheez-It Chipotle Pepper Zingz
- Pretzel sticks
- Fresh herb leaves (tarragon, marjoram or savory)
1. Gather ingredients. Peel the sweet potatoes. Wrap them separately in plastic food wrap and microwave each of them for 5 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and cut into cubes.
2. Put sweet potatoes, bacon, almonds, cream cheese, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, chipotle chili pepper, salt, paprika and black pepper in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
3. If desired, stir in tuna or crabmeat, breadcrumbs and egg. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Crush Cheez-It Chipotle Pepper Zingz crackers and put in a bowl. Roll sweet potato mixture into 2-inch balls and coat with crushed cracker crumbs.
5. Insert the top of a pretzel stick into each sweet potato ball and push down slightly to form a pumpkin shape. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Add herb leaves next to each pretzel stem.
7. Serve warm and enjoy a spicy bite.