This quick-and-easy, meatless black bean nacho soup recipe is one you’ll go to again and again! The soup is delicious on its own, but the fixings make it fun and decadent!
Either top your soup bowls with all the fixings or serve them on the side and allow people to top their own! Be sure to have lots of tortilla chips for scooping up all that nacho goodness!
Black bean nacho soup recipe
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onion, chopped (whites and green parts)
- Your favorite salsa or hot sauce
- Coat the bottom of a large stockpot, equipped with a lid, with olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until translucent and becoming fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery, chili powder and cumin and stir all ingredients around in the pot to coat vegetables with the spices. Add black beans and stir well. Add stock and stir, bring to a boil, then turn down heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in the tomato paste and lime juice. Puree soup in batches in a blender (or use a hand-held immersion blender) until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls while hot and top with cheese, sour cream, guacamole, tortilla chips, cilantro, green onion and hot sauce.