Panera is the king of incredible and mouthwatering breakfast goodies — our favorite are the cobblestone muffins. However, we’re not exactly comfortable paying $4 a muffin almost every morning. To satisfy our Panera cobblestone craving, we made our own batch right at home!
These melt-in-your-mouth muffins taste like a cinnamon roll, only better. Each piece is loaded with cinnamon sugar, butter and tons of whole wheat flavor.
Copycat Panera cobblestone muffins
Recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets
Yields 9 muffins
For the dough
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup 1 percent milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 package active yeast
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
For the glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Chopped pecans
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the yeast. Whisk the milk and heavy cream together and microwave for about 45 seconds, or until warm. Add to the yeast and let bubble for about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs, butter and sugar and beat with a dough hook until mixed. Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, or until mixed. Roll the dough with your hands and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a greased piece of plastic wrap and place in a warm area to double in size, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Once dough has doubled, slightly punch down. Grab 2 tablespoons worth of dough and roll into a ball.
- Make the coating by whisking the cinnamon and sugars together. Dip the dough balls into butter and then roll into the cinnamon sugar. Fill each muffin liner with about 6 dough balls. Repeat until all of the liners are filled with dough balls. If you have a few extra, stick them onto some of the other muffins to make them larger.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by beating the cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and milk together. If it’s too thick, add more milk. Drizzle each muffin with glaze, sprinkle with chopped pecans and enjoy!