Pizza is a classic prerace meal for runners. We’ve taken the idea and turned it into an even better race meal by nixing the cheese and adding some steak!
Everyone loves pizza, but the day before a big race, a bunch of dairy probably isn’t the smartest option. We took a pizza crust, slathered it with a tasty rosemary white bean spread and topped it with sliced steak. On the side? An apple coleslaw, not too heavy on the cabbage and tossed with a Dijon mustard dressing. Enjoy all that dairy on the other side of the finish line.
Sliced steak flatbread recipe
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1-1/2 lemons, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package (18-20 ounces) prepared pizza dough (whole wheat, multigrain or regular)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- In a baking dish, drizzle the steak with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Rub the crushed garlic into the meat. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon on top, season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven and a pizza stone to 450 degrees F. If you don’t have a pizza stone, use a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal or lined with a Silpat.
- Roll/stretch the pizza dough to fit the pizza stone or baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the dough is fully cooked.
- While dough bakes, heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Add the steak to the grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes per side depending on how well done you want the steak.
- While steak is cooking, add the beans, juice of 1/2 a lemon, the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the rosemary to a food processor. Process until blended and smooth.
- Remove the steak from the grill pan and let it rest on a cutting board.
- Remove the pizza crust from the oven once baked and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooled a bit, spread the bean mixture over the entire surface of the pizza dough.
- Thinly slice the steak and lay it on top of the bean spread.
- Garnish with chopped scallions.
Apple red cabbage coleslaw recipe
- 1/2 a small red cabbage, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, grated
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine cabbage and apple in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour onto the cabbage and apple mixture.
- Toss to combine and serve.
RUN WITH US!
SheKnows is running our first half marathon at the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon this January. Register here.