Fresh French bread is halved and topped with pizza sauce, a variety of veggies that have been caramelized and creamy fontina cheese. Baked until golden brown, this is a great option for dinner during the busy work week.
Loaves of fresh French bread are sliced in half and layered with tomato sauce, caramelized veggies and fontina cheese. This is a wonderful and quick meal when you are low on groceries or have a busy work week. This is also a great way to sneak in veggies for picky eaters.
Caramelized vegetable and fontina French bread pizza recipe
- 1 loaf French bread, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar, honey or agave
- 1 small zucchini, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce or pizza sauce
- 8 ounces shredded fontina cheese
- Small handful fresh basil, finely chopped for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, zucchini, sweet onion, tomatoes and garlic. Lightly saute for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add in the sugar or sweetener of choice and cook an additional 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread both pieces of the French bread generously with the tomato or pizza sauce. Divide the shredded fontina cheese between both halves and top with the caramelized vegetables.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted and the pizzas are golden brown. Remove from the oven and cut into slices.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and serve.
A drizzle of balsamic reduction would work wonderfully on this pizza.