A Meatless Monday meal of tempeh tortilla soup is very hearty. You’ll love the flavors as well as the fact that this dish is easy to make.
This Meatless Monday recipe for tempeh tortilla soup is not only a cinch to make, but it’s filling and flavorful, too! Tempeh is similar to tofu since it’s a soy-based product, but it has its own taste and texture. It’s low in fat and high in protein and makes a great addition to a meatless recipe. The added veggies and flavorful seasonings help make this Meatless Monday meal something special.
To top this terrific soup, we used baked tortilla strips and some sour cream. This is a fun dish to serve, and goes well with chips and guacamole on the side!
Tempeh tortilla soup recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, then diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeds and membrane removed, then diced (use a hotter pepper if you prefer)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 3 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/2-inch-wide strips, then cut in half
- Sour cream as garnish
- Avocado slices as garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook for several minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the peppers and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato sauce along with the salt, black pepper, cumin and chili powder, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the mixture and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, add the corn, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- As the mixture simmers, place the tortilla strips in the oven to cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping once, until they begin to turn golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the tempeh pieces and cook for about 3 minutes, flipping once, until golden. Remove from the heat, add to the soup mixture and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Remove the soup from the heat and serve in individual bowls topped with the sour cream and a handful of the tortilla strips over the top.
Try this terrific soup!