Sweet potatoes are roasted and piled high on fresh bread and topped with creamy Gouda cheese, greens and sweet fig jam. This is perfect for a fall-inspired lunch.
This delicious sandwich is a combination of uniquely paired flavors. Roasting sweet potatoes brings out their natural sweetness and adds nice texture to this sandwich. We topped this off with creamy sliced Gouda cheese but mozzarella or havarti would work well since they are mild cheeses. Perfect for vegetarians looking for something new to try, this will easily please any meat eater too.
Roasted sweet potato, Gouda and fig jam sandwich recipe
Yields 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fig preserves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce with a fork in several places. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 35–45 minutes until soft. Remove from the foil and allow to cool completely.
- Spread each slice of bread with the fig preserves and add 2 slices of Gouda cheese to each sandwich.
- Slice the sweet potato and divide between the two sandwiches. Top with fresh spinach and remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve immediately.