Sunday dinner: Grilled sausage subs with peppers and onions
You may have heard sub sandwiches referred to by many names — hoagie, hero or even grinder. Whatever you choose to call them, you won't be disappointed by the taste of these sandwiches!
It only takes a few ingredients to pull together a filling Italian-style sandwich for Sunday dinner. This recipe for grilled sausage subs with peppers and onions will be a hit with the family. The flavors are classic and it doesn't take much work to pull together this super sub sandwich!
Grilled sausage subs with peppers and onions recipe
- 4 Italian-style sausage links
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into strips
- 2 red bell peppers, membrane and seeds removed, then cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, membrane and seeds removed, then cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 sub sandwich buns, split lengthwise
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Grill the sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until they're cooked through. Remove from the heat and keep them warm.
- Add the olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for several minutes, stirring, until they soften.
- Add the bell peppers and garlic to the pan and continue to cook, about 3 minutes, until the peppers soften.
- Add the marinara sauce and oregano to the saute pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should almost cover the onion and peppers. Add water to the sauce, a little at a time, if you would like to thin it slightly.
- Remove the sauce mixture from the heat. Divide it evenly between the buns. Put a little of the mixture on the bottom half of each, add a sausage link, then add more of the sauce mixture over the top of the sausage.
- Garnish with the grated Parmesan and serve warm.
Serve up a classic sub!