Gluten-free Friday: Creamy tomato-basil and corn soup
Soup is a satisfying dish whether you're looking for a light meal or something to warm you on a chilly day. This Gluten-free Friday recipe delivers delicious comfort in a bowl!
Depending on the time of year, soup on a Gluten-free Friday can be part of a welcome meal. It may be chilly, but not too cold, which is a perfect time to serve creamy tomato-basil and corn soup. It's hearty but not too heavy, and it's full of wonderful flavor.
Rather than deciding which croutons or crackers to serve with this soup, try Gourmet Wafer Crisps from Kitchen Table Bakers. These crisps are made from aged Parmesan cheese, they're gluten-free, and are great served with soup. Before the weather turns extra-chilly, give this soup a try!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Creamy tomato-basil and corn soup recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 5-6 basil leaves, plus extra for garnish, cut into ribbons
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup corn kernels
- Add the butter to a large stockpot over medium heat. When the butter is hot, add the onion and celery and cook until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt and black pepper, and cook for another minute or so, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth and basil leaves to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the basil leaves from the mixture and remove the pot from the heat for a moment. Use a stick blender to carefully blend the ingredients until they're smooth (there may be a few small lumps).
- While on low heat, add the cream to the soup, whisking. Add the corn kernels and allow them to heat through, for about 3 minutes.
- Season with a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot in individual bowls garnished with the basil ribbons
Bring on the soup!