Slow-roasted tomato sandwiches with bacon and basil mayo
Here we share a fun spin on a traditional BLT sandwich by using slow-roasted tomatoes and a fresh basil mayonnaise. Topped off with fresh greens, this sandwich is not lacking in the flavor department.
Roasting fresh tomatoes brings out their natural sweetness and adds a nice depth of flavor especially on sandwiches. Here we piled these slow-roasted tomatoes high on delicious bread and added crunchy nitrate-free turkey bacon and a simple mayonnaise spread with added freshly chopped basil.
Slow-roasted tomato sandwiches with bacon and basil mayo recipe
Yields 2 sandwiches
For the basil mayonnaise
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the sandwich
- 4 slices bread
- 1/2 cup slow-roasted tomatoes
- 4 slices cooked turkey bacon
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a bowl add the ingredients for the basil mayonnaise mixing well.
- Spread each of the slices of bread with the basil mayonnaise. Divide the slow-roasted tomatoes between 2 slices of bread, then add 2 slices of bacon per sandwich.
- Add a handful of baby spinach to each sandwich and top with remaining slice of bread. Cut in half and serve immediately.