Rich cookies with the wonderful flavor combo of lemon and lavender are divine any time of year. You won’t be disappointed in a classic shortbread cookie!
Shortbread cookies are crumbly and rich, and perfect for a Gluten-free Goodie of the Week indulgence! Lemon-lavender shortbread cookies with lemon glaze are perfect paired with a cup of hot tea or as an after-dinner treat. The glaze is an added touch of sweetness.
Lemon-lavender shortbread cookies with lemon glaze recipe
Yields 16 cookies
- 2/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Zest from 1/2 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup gluten-free confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the flours, cornstarch and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the softened butter and sugars. Beat with a mixer until combined. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until combined. Add the lavender to the dough and mix it in.
- Divide the dough in half (it will be a little soft), and place one portion on each of the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Use your hands to gently shape the dough into a disk that’s about 3/4-inch thick. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut each disk into 8 triangles, but don’t separate the slices.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden.
- While the cookies cool, make your glaze by combining the confectioners’ sugar with the lemon juice. Whisk it until it’s smooth, adding more confectioners’ sugar as needed to give it a consistency suitable for drizzling.
- When you remove the cookies, let them sit for a few minutes, then use the pizza cutter or knife to carefully cut the score marks, through the cookie.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool, drizzle on the glaze.
- Allow the glaze to set before slightly before serving.
Enjoy these classic treats!