Clever ways to serve holiday dinner leftovers
Don't throw out those holiday leftovers!
A feast is always the highlight of the holiday season, but what are you to do with all the leftovers? Don't let them go to waste. Here are some useful tips on recycling those leftovers into something grand!
- Make french toast (or a french toast casserole) with leftover bread. If you also have leftover eggnog, spice up your french toast by adding eggnog and cinnamon to your egg mixture.
- Make your own homemade croutons by slicing the bread into cubes, drizzling them with olive oil and sprinkling with seasonings. Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake at 300 degrees F or until crispy.
- Turn bread into a dessert by recycling it into bread pudding.
- Use leftover ham in an omelet for a hearty breakfast.
- Bake a quiche with leftover ham. (Note: Quiche freezes well.)
- Add ham to scalloped potatoes.
- Prepare ham salad for crackers or sandwiches by adding mayonnaise, mustard, hard-boiled eggs and pickle relish.
- Use ham instead of chicken in your traditional chicken casserole recipes.
- Add ham cubes to macaroni and cheese.
- Freeze leftover ham to use later in soups and stews.
- Everyone loves turkey soup! Top with croutons made from leftover bread.
- Make mini turkey pot pies and freeze for a quick homemade meal when you're short on time.
- Switch up a frittata recipe by adding turkey instead of ham.
- Replace chicken or beef with turkey in enchiladas.
- Freeze leftover turkey to use later in soups and stews.
- Give your chili a healthy twist by using turkey instead of ground beef.
- Turkey is an excellent addition to any quesadilla recipe.
- Skillet turkey tetrazzini is a complete meal prepared on your stove top.
Leftover vegetables and side dishes
- Recycle potatoes and make a baked potato casserole by adding shredded cheese, bacon bits, sour cream and sliced green onions.
- Simmer a big pot of potato soup. Leftover ham also makes a great addition to potato soup!
- Make muffins out of leftover stuffing. Spoon stuffing into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until browned.