Cabbage rolls are delicious but can take a lot of work to put together. This hearty soup gives you all the flavor with none of the work. Just wait till you taste this!
This soup will keep you full for hours. Packed full of ground beef, rice, cabbage and tomatoes, it tastes just like a cabbage roll but without all the tedious work. This is the perfect cold weather food.
Cabbage roll soup
Yields 1 large pot
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 medium-size head cabbage, cut into thin slices
- 2 cups instant rice, cooked
- In a large soup pot, add ground meat and onion. Cook until no longer pink. If there is a lot of grease drain, if not move to the next step.
- Add in garlic to the meat and quickly saute for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in basil, paprika, salt, pepper, bay leaf, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and cabbage. Give a big stir and let soup simmer for about 20 minutes until the cabbage is soft. If the soup is too thick, add water or chicken stock to help thin the soup.
- Right before serving, add in instant cooked rice, stir and serve.