Gingerbread is the perfect fall cake flavor. It’s filled with flavor and even better when drizzled with a sweet cinnamon glaze.
If you have never given gingerbread a try, you are in a for a treat. It’s packed full of flavor, and it’s the perfect flavor for fall or winter. This time around, we kept it basic and baked them in mini Bundt pans. But for a bigger cake, feel free to use a larger cake pan. To top it all off, we glazed it with cinnamon glaze. Can this cake get any better?
Gingerbread mini Bundt cakes with cinnamon glaze recipe
Adapted from These Peas are Hollow
Yields 24 mini Bundt cakes
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped crystalized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray each mini Bundt with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flours, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cloves, ginger and cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add butter, molasses, sugar and brown sugar. Beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add in egg and mix to combine.
- Slowly add in buttermilk and whole milk. Mix until combined. The mixture may look a little curdled but this is normal.
- In a few batches, slowly mix in the flour mixture. Once all the flour has been added fold in chopped ginger.
- Fill each mini Bundt 3/4 full of gingerbread batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the cake springs back when touched.
- Let cake cool in containers for 20 minutes and turn out.
- Drizzle with cinnamon glaze.
Cinnamon glaze recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a splash more milk and if the mixture is too thick add a few more spoonfuls of powdered sugar.