Sweet potato and chorizo stuffed shells
We have taken stuffed shells to a new level. We stuffed them with a delicious sweet potato and spicy chorizo filling.
This dish takes classic stuffed shells and gives it a spicy fall twist. We browned up spicy fresh chorizo sausage and combined it with Parmesan cheese and mashed sweet potatoes. The mixture is sweet and spicy and perfect for stuffing. We simply sprinkled the dish with Parmesan cheese and baked it, but this dish would also pair nicely with a creamy Alfredo sauce.
Sweet potato and chorizo stuffed shells recipe
Adapted from Taste of Home
- 21 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage, removed from the casing
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Add a large pot of water over high heat. When the water is boiling, add in the pasta shells and cook until al dente, following box directions. Drain and set aside until ready to fill.
- In a large pan, add onions and butter. Cook for about 7 minutes over medium heat until onions start to soften.
- Add the chorizo to the onions and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until the chorizo is browned and the onions are fully cooked.
- If there is a lot of grease in the pan, you can drain; if not than simply skip to the next step.
- Add in the sherry, mashed sweet potatoes and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix together until smooth. Take off the heat.
- Fill each shell with the filling and add to the prepared pan. Once all the shells have been filled sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and back for about 15 minutes or until the tops are a bit browned and the mixture is warm throughout.