Nut-stuffed acorn squash
Looking for a meatless side dish? Maybe even a main course? This simple stuffed acorn squash totally fits the bill!
This is the perfect vegetarian side dish for a big dinner or a perfectly light dinner option for Meatless Monday. We stuffed our squash with a mixture of nuts, dried fruit and some hints of cinnamon. You're going to love this dish!
Nut-stuffed acorn squash recipe
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-size bowl add walnuts, cherries, raisins, ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Using your hands, work in the butter until it's equally distributed throughout the mixture.
- Fill the squash cavity with equal amount of the nut mixture.
- Add squash to a baking sheet and lightly cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Pierce the squash to make sure it's fully cooked, remove from the oven and enjoy.