Chicken and tofu skewers with peanut sauce
Peanuts are a beloved fixture in Asian dishes that truly enhance this healthy barbecue of chicken and tofu. In this recipe, we used real peanuts to make the sauce.
A healthy kind of Asian skewers with grilled chicken and tofu accompanied by a delicious peanut sauce. Most peanut sauces are done with peanut butter, but with our version, we used 100 percent peanuts, pounded to a paste the old way, with a mortar and pestle. You can really taste the big difference.
Chicken and tofu skewers with peanut sauce recipe
Makes 6 sticks
- 16 ounces chicken fillet, sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juice (you can adjust the amount)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Ground black pepper
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, crushed
- 9 ounces tofu, cubed
- 24 fresh bay leaves
- 6 barbecue sticks
- Sesame oil for brushing
- Peanut sauce (see recipe below)
- Prepare the marinade for the chicken the night before by mixing the soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, pepper and ginger. Leave the chicken in this marinade in a sealed container inside the refrigerator.
- With the barbecue stick, insert a cube of tofu first, followed by a bay leaf then a slice of chicken that has been rolled to make it easier to insert in the stick. Repeat again then end with a cube of tofu.
- Brush all the sides of the chicken and tofu with the sesame oil.
- Grill the skewers on a hot grill and brown all sides. Brush with the sesame oil if needed.
- Serve hot with the peanut sauce.
Peanut sauce recipe
- 1 cup toasted peanuts, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water (plus a little bit more to make it more liquid)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Over medium fire in a small saucepan, saute the garlic in sesame oil. When it starts to sizzle, add the sugar and soy sauce.
- When the sugar has melted, add the peanuts. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add the water and cook. Turn off the fire before it boils.
- Adjust the consistency with the water. Add more water if you find the sauce to be too thick, then mix well.