Hearty vegetable and fresh herb dumplings
For anyone who loves chicken and dumplings, here is a fun vegetarian twist on this classic comfort dish. Vegetables and savory herb dumplings are cooked in a seasoned vegetable-based broth and served warm. This is the perfect comforting meal for cool winter nights.
As the nights get cooler we tend to want hearty, satisfying dishes that warm us from within. Here we took the concept of chicken and dumplings and gave it a vegetarian-friendly makeover. Fresh herbs lend just enough flavor to this dish without overpowering the meal. If you are set on having chicken and dumplings you can easily add chicken to this recipe. We suggest adding shredded rotisserie chicken breast to save lots of time.
Hearty vegetable and fresh herb dumplings recipe
Yields 4-6 servings
For the stew
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced fresh or canned carrots
- 1 cup frozen or canned sweet peas
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dumplings
- 2 cups baking mix such as Bisquick
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large saucepot over medium heat, add all of the ingredients for the stew (vegetable broth, onion, carrots, sweet peas, celery and seasonings), stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook covered for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to medium low.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the dumplings, mixing well.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, drop spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into the stew. Continue to cook covered until all the dumplings are cooked completely (they will float to the top).
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley or extra thyme and serve.
You can also turn this into a slow cooker recipe. Simply follow all of the steps, but add the stew and the dumplings to the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on low.