A super fun and nontraditional way to bake bread!
There’s nothing more satisfying than baking your own bread. This version is super simple and gets baked up right in a pot! The garlic and rosemary make it a great savory side for any dinner.
Garlic rosemary Dutch oven bread loaf recipe
Slightly adapted from Joy the Baker
Yields 1 loaf
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Stir gently and let sit for 5-10 minutes until it’s bubbling/frothy.
- Add flour, salt and pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stove. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic and rosemary, stir and remove from the heat.
- Pour the water/yeast mixture and the butter mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix on a low speed for about 10 minutes until it forms a dough ball that is cleanly coming away from the edges of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place in a large greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise.
- Once dough has doubled in size (this should take about 1 hour), remove it from the bowl, punch it down with your hands and knead for about 1-2 minutes. Reshape the dough into a ball and set aside.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a Dutch oven and place the dough ball in the pot.
- Using a serrated knife, make an “X” in the top of the dough about halfway through the dough ball (this will allow the bread to bake up into that fun blossom shape).
- Pour the remaining olive oil on top of the dough ball and sprinkle with some kosher salt.
- Top the pot with a tight-fitting lid and bake at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pot, reduce the temperature to 400 degrees F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden and crusty on top.