The late summer season still has a lot to offer! Use seasonal ingredients like corn and zucchini to blend together a flavorful chowder.
This Sunday dinner recipe for shrimp and sweet corn chowder combines the fresh flavors of corn, and added veggies like zucchini, to create a filling and tasty dish that’s perfect for the end-of-summer season. This dish is easy to put together for a hearty meal.
Shrimp and sweet corn chowder recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 new red potatoes, diced small
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces sweet corn kernels
- 3/4 pound frozen shrimp, tails removed and cut into small chunks
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green zucchini, sliced in rounds and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add the oil to a stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add the green onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes, careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the chicken broth, new potatoes and salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil for a minute or so. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the potatoes soften.
- Add the corn, celery, zucchini and thyme, and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove about 1 cup of the mixture and carefully blend the remaining ingredients with a stick blender.
- Return the reserved mixture to the soup, add the shrimp and heavy cream, and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink.
- Remove from the heat and serve warm.