Gluten-free Friday: Tomato-basil frittata
Frittata is a simple dish to make, yet it can pack a flavorful and filling punch. Use fresh ingredients in this dish to create a delightful meal.
Adding fresh ingredients to a frittata definitely elevates the flavor. For this Gluten-free Friday recipe for tomato-basil frittata, a classic flavor combo takes center stage! The fresh basil and seasonal tomatoes taste amazing, and this dish is perfect for breakfast, brunch or a light lunch.
Tomato-basil frittata recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced and seeds removed
- 2 green onions, diced (white and green parts)
- 4-6 basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl and add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the tomato, onion and basil to the mixture and gently combine.
- Heat the butter in an ovenproof, 10-inch skillet over medium heat. When hot, pour the egg mixture into the skillet and gently move the mixture to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Allow the egg mixture to cook for 4-5 minutes without stirring it. Use a rubber spatula to run around the edges of the frittata as it cooks, so the edges don’t stick and burn.
- When the outer edges of the frittata have set but the center is still slightly runny, remove the pan from the heat and place it in an oven set to broil.
- Keep a close watch so the frittata doesn't burn. After a few minutes, when the top of the frittata has set and begins to turn golden, carefully remove the pan from the oven. Allow the frittata to sit for a few minutes.
- Use a rubber spatula to run around the edges and underside of the frittata, and slide it onto a round serving plate.
- Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese, slice it and serve warm or at room temperature.