Vegan variety: Tofu "egg" salad
If you've been looking for a vegan replacement for traditional egg salad, or you're simply looking for a filling and flavorful lunchtime sandwich, give this salad go!
This vegan variety recipe for tofu "egg" salad is delicious! It's perfect for breakfast served on toast or as a healthy sandwich option for lunch. It's also fab and filling served on a bed of salad greens. One more bright side: Tofu is a cholesterol-free food, so this salad gets much higher marks in the "healthy food" column than traditional egg salad.
Tofu "egg" salad recipe
- 7-8 ounces firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons prepared relish (or use diced dill pickles and a bit of the juice)
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 3-4 dashes Sriracha or another hot sauce
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Favorite vegan sandwich bread or salad greens
- Put the tofu in a large bowl and use either your hands or a fork to break it up. You want to keep it chunky in small pieces.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, relish, dried mustard and hot sauce to the tofu and mix to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Fold in the celery and onion. Season with the salt and pepper, and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use as the filling for sandwiches or serve over a bed of salad greens.
This tofu "egg" salad is terrific!