Ready for a treat that’s a little like pizza? Your family will love the flavors folded up in this stromboli!
Set aside your plans for pizza and bake up a sausage stromboli with mushrooms and peppers for a Sunday dinner! This recipe is super simple thanks to prepared pizza dough and pasta sauce. Using Italian-style sausage adds to the flavor of this folded (or sometimes rolled) treat that’s a cross between a pizza and a sandwich. This stromboli could also be served as an appetizer.
Sausage stromboli with mushrooms and peppers recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, then diced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound Italian-style sausage
- 1 (13.5 ounce) container prepared pizza dough
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces prepared pasta sauce, plus extra for serving
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flour, for dusting your work surface
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (or according to the pizza dough package directions). Lightly spray a baking sheet with the nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Dust a flat work surface with the flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the red bell pepper and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Add the mushrooms, salt and black pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, for just another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the sausage. Break it up with the back of a wooden spoon and cook until it is browned and cooked through. Remove the sausage from the heat and drain off any excess oil.
- Remove the dough from its container and lay it flat on your floured work surface. Stretch it out to form a rectangular shape.
- Spoon the prepared pasta sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border from the edges of the dough.
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella over the sauce, then layer with the sausage, and mushroom and pepper mixture. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- One at a time, fold the long sides of the rectangle to the middle. One side will flap over the other. Crimp the short edges together. Carefully transfer the stromboli to the baking sheet.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut 3-4, 1-inch slits on the top of the dough. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the dough turns golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow the stromboli to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve with extra sauce.
Get Sunday dinner packaged up!