Roasting potatoes for your potato salad, rather than boiling them, gives you perfect texture as well as an unforgettable flavor. Add in the goodness of bacon, and you have a hit on your hands.
A few years ago, I realized that my issue with the standard potato salad could easily be fixed by roasting the potatoes rather than boiling them. Boiled potatoes get mushy, fall apart and lack the flavor you need to make an impact. Roasting the potatoes in bacon fat fixes all of those issues.
Bacon fat roasted potato salad recipe
Yields 4 cups
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 pounds red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 2/3 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon. Remove from pan, reserving the bacon grease. Allow bacon to cool before chopping.
- Arrange the diced potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with reserved bacon fat, toss to coat.
- Roast for 10 minutes, toss/stir potatoes and roast for an additional 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the oven.
- In a bowl, add the remaining ingredients, the chopped bacon and the potatoes and toss to coat. Serve warm.