Dig into a big bowl of creamy, cheesy polenta for a hearty meal any time of the day.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner
Whether you’re making this for breakfast, lunch or dinner, you won’t be sorry. Goat cheese polenta topped with soft-boiled eggs and herb pesto is a decadent and comforting dish.
Creamy goat cheese polenta with herb pesto recipe
Yields about 4 cups
- 6 ounces polenta (coarse cornmeal)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons soft goat cheese
- Soft-boiled eggs
- Herb pesto (see recipe below)
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Toasted pine nuts, for garnish
- Place the polenta and water in a 2-1/2 quart saucepan. Stir to combine over medium-high heart and simmer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 7-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the grains are soft, about 1 hour.
- Whisk in the salt and pepper, butter and goat cheese.
- Spoon the hot polenta into individual bowls. Top with a soft-boiled egg, herb pesto, green onions and toasted pine nuts.
Herb pesto recipe
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor add the herbs, capers, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Pulse to chop the herbs. Slowly stream in the remaining olive oil, pulsing to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.