Gluten-free Friday: Sour cream and pepper deviled eggs
There's still time to go on a few picnics before the summer ends, so break out a favorite picnic dish — deviled eggs. These are good enough to serve all season!
A favorite picnic dish is definitely deviled eggs! This Gluten-free Friday recipe for sour cream and pepper deviled eggs switches things up by using mostly sour cream instead of mayonnaise to make these treats. We've also added red, white and green crunch and flavor by including red and green peppers and white onion. These make a great appetizer!
Sour cream and pepper deviled eggs recipe
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free hot sauce or cayenne pepper, plus extra cayenne pepper for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper (set aside a few pieces for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño pepper or green bell pepper (set aside a few pieces for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced white onion (set aside a few pieces for garnish)
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs, then carefully slice them in half lengthwise. Scoop the hardened yolks out of the whites and place them in a bowl. Set the whites aside.
- Use the back of a spoon to mash the yolks.
- To the yolk mixture, add the sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce or cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Fold in the red bell pepper, jalapeño (or green bell) pepper, and onion, mixing to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the scooped-out egg white halves, mounding it slightly. Garnish with a sprinkling of cayenne pepper and a few pieces of the diced peppers and onion.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
Try these devilishly good deviled eggs!