We are going crazy with the avocados. This fun mac and cheese is packed full of healthy avocado and is perfect served alone or as a side dish.
Avocado and mac and cheese might not seem like a likely pair but it works beautifully. This delicious version brings together the healthy natural fat of avocado, lime and stringy shredded cheese. This crazy twist will be sure to impress.
Avocado mac and cheese
- 1 pound small shaped pasta
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and add in pasta. Cook until al dente. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- In a food processor add avocado flesh, garlic, lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. Blend until smooth, set aside.
- In a large skillet add butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add flour and whisk until it’s a thick paste. Slowly whisk in milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in cheese and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Add pasta and avocado to the skillet and mix together until combined.