Baked not fried. That is what this dinner is all about. All the flavor and not all that fat.
Chimichangas are the perfect Mexican treat but can pack a lot in the calorie department. These delicious treats are baked instead of fried but still pack all of the flavor of the fried version. We used green salsa but a more traditional tomato-based salsa would be great as well.
Baked chicken chimichangas recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup green salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 8 (8 or 10 inch) flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add cream cheese and blend till smooth.
- Add in shredded cheese, 1/2 cup of the green salsa, taco seasoning and chicken. Mix on low until fully combined.
- Divide filling between the 8 tortillas, tuck ends and roll up. Add to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and spray the rolled tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the filling is hot and the tops are lightly toasted.
- Top warm chimichangas with remaining green salsa and sour cream.