Baked chicken chimichangas
Baked not fried. That is what this dinner is all about. All the flavor and not all that fat.
Chimichangas are the perfect Mexican treat but can pack a lot in the calorie department. These delicious treats are baked instead of fried but still pack all of the flavor of the fried version. We used green salsa but a more traditional tomato-based salsa would be great as well.
Baked chicken chimichangas recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup green salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 8 (8 or 10 inch) flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add cream cheese and blend till smooth.
- Add in shredded cheese, 1/2 cup of the green salsa, taco seasoning and chicken. Mix on low until fully combined.
- Divide filling between the 8 tortillas, tuck ends and roll up. Add to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and spray the rolled tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the filling is hot and the tops are lightly toasted.
- Top warm chimichangas with remaining green salsa and sour cream.