You can’t have a party without snacks, right? However, when you’re rocking a two-piece at your neighbor’s pool party, the last thing you probably want to do is stuff your face with chips and cheese. Instead, bring a few of these super-light, 150 calories or less, grilled recipes for guilt-free eating.
You’ll probably still have to fight the urge to raid the cupcake table, but at least you’ll satisfy your hunger pains by eating one of these low-calorie snacks. Plus, all of these have extra boosts of protein, which will hopefully keep you from eating chips later.
Shrimp stuffed sweet peppers
Yields 12 peppers
- 12 sweet peppers
- About 2 cups chopped, cooked shrimp
- 1-1/2 cups baby arugula, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2/3 cup fat-free ranch dressing
- Preheat your grill to medium heat. Coat the grill with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place peppers directly onto the grill. Cook until both sides are charred, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool, carefully slice each pepper in half vertically. Mix all of the ingredients together (except for the dressing) and stuff the peppers with about two teaspoons of filling. Drizzle stuffed peppers with ranch dressing.
Chicken skewers with light Thai peanut sauce
Yields 8 skewers
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bell pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Thai sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced fat peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Grease the grill with nonstick cooking spray. Cut the garlic cloves into 3 pieces.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size cubes. Skewer the peppers, onion, garlic and chicken onto a wooden skewer. Repeat until the skewer is filled. Repeat until you have about 8 skewers.
- Place the skewers directly onto the grill and cook until chicken is fully done, about 6–8 minutes. Remove and place on a tray.
- Meanwhile, place the peanut butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, water and salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse on low until mixture is creamy.
- Serve each skewer with about 1 tablespoon of sauce.
Shrimp & avocado salad
Serves about 4
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 avocado
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 large onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese
- Greek olives
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Grease with nonstick cooking spray. Place shrimp directly onto the grill and cook about 4–5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, chop tomato, avocado and onion. Add a few olives to the top.
- Place arugula in a large bowl. Top with shrimp, chopped vegetables and feta cheese.
- To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, oil, water, honey and mustard together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over salad.
Grilled nectarines with goat cheese and honey
Serves about 4
- 4 nectarines
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2-1/2 tablespoons goat cheese
- Fresh mint
- Preheat grill to medium and liberally grease grill with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut each nectarine in half and remove the pit. Place flesh side down on the grill and cook about 5 minutes, or until browned. Flip and cook another 3–4 minutes, or until the skin of the nectarine is charred with grill marks.
- Remove from heat and place on a plate. Drizzle nectarines with honey (about 1 tablespoon per peach) and garnish with crumbled goat cheese and mint.